Friday, October 20, 2006

Naked Needles Overview

Kathleen-
I did a bit of research to contemplate the Naked Needles idea. I came up with something reassuring: I actually have fewer projects on the needles than I expected.

So here's the pile:


The things to be ripped from that pile:

Exhibit A: Beautiful recycled Sari Silk yarn, knit into the beginnings of Unbiased from Knitty. Nice pattern, pretty yarn, but just not for me. I ripped it last night.


Exhibit B: Beginnings of a lace cardigan from Vintage Knits. After reflection, not suited to my body type. Not yet ripped, but in the to be ripped and washed pile. I'm contemplating making that long pullover that you sent me the pattern to when I lived in Arizona. But that's Spring knitting, so to the frog pond and back into storage it goes.

Not pictured: The 1/2 sock I ripped back in a fit of hatred upon seeing it (ugly marriage of yarn and pattern). The yarn has already been skeined and washed, I'm not sure what will happen to it.


In the longest on the needles category, we have what I refer to as my first year shawl. I started it the winter of my first year of college for mindless class knitting...and was then abandoned. The center triangle is done, and I hate the current edging. I think I'm going to rip out all the current edging and come up with a yet to be determined alternative. Maybe time to get a Barbara Walker stitch treasury from the library.



For the "Why isn't this finished yet?" category, we have Broad Street Mittens from Knitty. As you can see, the glove parts are done but I never finished the mitten flaps. These are going into my tv/going out knitting pile, since once I get the mitten stitches picked up, they'll be totally mindless. I'll confess I was tempted by just using them as not fully fingered gloves, but considering the Minnesota climate, I think I'll be patient and keep knitting.



Here we have more mindless knitting. Wristwarmers based loosely on the Voodoo pattern from Knitty (sensing a trend?). I started these as mindless graveyarn shift knitting last year, and then lost interest. I only have about 2 inches of ribbing to go, so these are becoming my traveling knitting project in lieu of the sock in progress.


This is the always lovely sheepy blanket. It is done, except for interminable ends to be woven in and a backing to be put on. The baby I originally made it for does not need such a warm blanket, so I'm putting it aside once I finish for a baby, since I know there will eventually be another baby I need to knit for.

The shawl: In progress. Hoping to finish for Christmas. Still loving it, still slow. Knitting lace is not very tv friendly, it required too much concentration.


Eris. Still stalled, but now that its cold, I'm reinspired. Hoping to finish quickly after the election.



Secret project of doom. Done soon. Hopefully next week sometime.

No pictures of the vest, I think that will be my December project. I spun a lot last night, but no pictures yet. My wheel is officially empty of fiber for the first time since I started spinning. Hopefully I'll have more to report tomorrow.

Have a good weekend!

No comments: