Remember how I said that I seemed to have finally stopped screwing up the lace pattern? Right. Bad idea. So I'm knitting along on my first row last night when I glance down and realize that 6 rows down, I'd made a stupid and yet immediately obvious mistake. In a lace motif that includes only two pattern rows (with different numbers of plain stitches at the beginning to create a repeat), I had switched which pattern I was knitting three-fourths through a row.
ACK! I immediately sprang into action. Having no desire to rip 6 full rows, I decided to only drop the stitches for the affected section. I was inspired by the memory of this post at Stephanie's. Moments into it, I was instead reminded of this post from a few days later.
Sadly, between the red yarn, less than ideal light, and aging digital camera....my pictures are pretty bad. Note the many strands of red yarn coming out of the top of this shot:
This shows how many stitches were affected:
And this is halfway through the repair.
By the way, I particularly identify with the second post I linked to, because Mike called, the phone startled me, and I was very unhappy, even though I didn't actually drop a stitch. In fact, I was rude because I was so stressed at that point.
The damage is not fully repaired yet, though I think I only have one row to reknit at this point. My entire evening was heart stopping as a result, and I think I'll be taking a break from this project tonight to allow for recovery.