Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Merry Christmas...

... and would the judges please allow me an extension?

Hi Flan,
I hope you had a lovely Christmas. We spent ours smushed into the back seat of a very small car w/ luggage every place you could think of (and a couple that you probably wouldn't). It turns out that five adults plus 12 suitcases were not what an economy sized car was designed to haul. Thankfully, the passes were clear, so we were able to get over them in good time. There is snow in WA so The Hubby is happy. We are celebrating Christmas today and in true fashion, I have woken up at the ungodly hour of 6am. I used to wake up at 4am on Christmas, so this is actually an improvement.

So with the knitting... I discovered why none of the patterns for mittens have them done top down. Top down mittens look stupid. At least the one I started four times did. I then got out my travel size floss, cut the yarn, and started at the cuff. Knitting saved me yesterday as I happily worked away whilst squished in the middle seat. I love mohair. It might be too early to say that without the knitting gods laughing maniacally, but so far I love it.

The Brother tried on The Sweater. There is good news and bad news. The good news is that the sleeve length looks good. Now I just have to finish the second sleeve. The bad news is that there are a couple of places that don't look good where I picked up for the collar. Hopefully my knitting skills have improved in the past three years and when I do it this time it will work better. Fingers crossed but am not holding my breath (which The Sister and The SIL did on the express way bridges, kind of exciting considering The Sister was also The Driver).

The Baby Blanket... So, I thought I might want to make it bigger. I know baby blankets don't need to be big, but I have lots of extra yarn. However, bigger means more time.

The thought of time brings me to my next little hiccup. What kind of nutty am I that I thought this could all be done in a week? The projects are as follows:
1. The sweater will probably get finished, no problem.
2. The fact that I forgot one of the colors for The Hubby's socks and was thus not able to bring them with us is a problem. I'm halfway down the top, still have the rest of that, plus heel, gusset, foot and toe. In my holiday mania I thought it would be absolutely no problem to finish this on the 31 before we go to a fondue party at The Little Girl's house.
3. The Baby Blanket might require an extension on the deadline. Prognosis does not look good.
4. The Mittens are plane knitting and should be exempt.

I just found out that The SIL lost the hat that I made the scarf to complement and now need to do a replacement. That should also be exempt.

More later.

Merry Christmas and Happy 36 Anniversary to The Parents!

No comments: