Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Day 13 (Laura Ingalls Wilder Edition)

Kathleen-
I hit the road for my Southern Minnesota travel at 6:15 am today, and was treated to a spectacular sunrise driving south. I spent an enormous amount of today driving through really rural areas of Southern Minnesota and Wisconsin, both of which were extremely scenic (albeit in a bleak late fall fashion).

Driving between my 1st and 2nd appointments, I spent part of my time on the Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Highway, and was inspired for this entry. I've been writing it in my head as I drive all day.

I started reading the Little House series the summer before 1st grade. I vividly remember my 1st grade teacher having to intervene with the school librarian because the librarian- a woman who was supposed to fill us all with a love of reading- maintained that I couldn't possibly be reading well enough to be reading Laura Ingalls Wilder. I know I read through the whole series for the first time beginning the summer before 1st grade and finishing the following summer. I then reread all the books at least one additional time, and many of the books separately throughout Elementary School.

She lived through an amazing 90 years. She was born in Wisconsin when it was still pioneer territory, and lived until 1957, living through the development of the car and the airplane. Can you imagine? I was thinking about timing- it's remarkable to me that a woman who my parents could have met as children experienced Minnesota as a pioneer.

I guess time is relative after all.

No knitting content (or pictures) today. Better luck tomorrow!

Although Laura Ingalls Wilder isn't completely responsible for my (sometimes obsessive) love of reading, I think she provided an important impetus. And clearly, I'm not the only one. Did you know her books have never been out of print? That's quite an achievement.

No comments: