Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Alpaca Alpaca Alpaca

Kathleen-
(Warning: Picture Heavy Post)

The title was the other reason for my good mail day just before the holidays.
Whoops. Ignore the mess. I've started packing for the impending move.

This is all fiber from my father, who got it from an alpaca producer he knows in Montana. Their website has been making me smile ever since it arrived. Six bags of fiber, all carefully labeled with the name of the animal it came from. I can't find pictures of two of them, but what follows are pictures of the other four.


I have fleece from this cute critter, named Cinco de Mayo.



Also from Sweet Pea, the larger Alpaca in this picture.


Beautiful black fiber from Zorro .


And then as a special bonus, the first shearing from Saffron (so cute!)


The second picture is a bonus for the cute fuzziness...


And then a closeup of Saffron's fiber. I thought the first 5 bags of fiber were beautiful and soft, but Saffron takes the cake. Too soft to imagine.

So I'm doing a bit of research into spinning Alpaca, sticking my hands into bags of incredibly soft fiber, and resisting starting to spin this until we move at the end of the month. Torture, I tell you.

On the other hand, I spun for for the first time in weeks tonight, and it's still as magical as I remember. So holding out till after moving will be a challenge.

I packed the first 5 boxes tonight, so the moving is officially started in my world. Expect less posting - and knitting and spinning progress - for the next month, but I'm still making a bit of progress every night.

No comments: