Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Back Again

Kathleen-
Back in Minnesota, where there is even more snow than when I left.

All in all, this was a much better trip to Montana. Much less of an emergency rushing trip, and a much faster recovery for Dad. I'm happy to report that he's doing well, and aside from his shaved head and gnarly scar, all is relatively well.

To hide the gnarly scar, I worked up a hat while I was there. I used handspun I'd made, knit at a very tight gauge for warmth, and to make it practically bulletproof. Just a simple ribbed brim hat with a double layer for the ears. I'll try and get Dad to send me a picture of it. In the process of knitting the hat I discovered that Dad may have the biggest head in the history of the world. It just went on and on and on. This was my first real project with my handspun, and it was great fun to knit with.

I've found a picture of the handspun!

It knit up beautifully, but as I knit along in the hospital, I looked down and realized I was running out of yarn! So I quickly decreased and bound off for long enough to get Dad home. Once we were back in Bozeman, I visited a delightful local yarn shop, and bought some complementary yarn to finish off the top to fit better.

There may have been some additional stash acquisition there, but I'd like to direct your attention to Rule # 4 of the Knit From Your Stash Rules. I was clearly more than 2 hours from home, and in my defense, all but one thing I bought were things I can't buy here, and even that one thing is difficult to find here. Pictures once the box containing my acquisitions arrives. (Yes, I bought enough that Dad has to ship me a box).

No comments: