Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Storm Before the Calm

Hi Flan (and to Flan's Mom),
First the good news: I found the two missing audio tapes to the books on tape I had already returned to the library and had confessed to the librarian that I had lost the tapes and had no idea where they were and I was so sorry. The missing tapes were inside a pamphlet in my trunk. Stupid paper.

What on earth has happened to Law & Order: Criminal Intent? I hadn't seen it in awhile (given the lack of tv) but we were at The Best Man's last night, and I was able to watch the whole thing. It sucked. The spinoff started so well, way back when. It was a nice chance for all of us to watch an odd detective catch odd criminals. I found it fascinating and a nice little break from my life of social services. Then they started going to the twilight zone. Slowly at first, but nevertheless, there it was. Yesterday's was awful. They have a new chief who looks like an extra from a C level 70s show, the female detective looks like Pippi Longstockings with a bad haircut and why oh why is Chris Noth in this show? He was part of the first L&O (back when there was only one). It was all wrong. There was no plot. There was no suspense. There was no mystery. Everything was spoonfed to us and I turned it off wondering what it was exactly I had just watched.

It doesn't look good for The SIL's scarf. The basic idea is that you cast on like for a sock toe, knit along w/o increases, then divide into tubes, knit the tubes, braid/ weave, then rejoin at the other end. I have two of the tubes knit, but this third one is driving me batty. I am doing a basic braid to complement the Coronet from knitty. The two completed tubes are long (somewhere between 60 and 90 inches, I haven't measured) and act like octopus arms, reaching out, grabbing things, falling on the (unswept) floor. It's one big ol' mess. It seems like I knit and knit and knit and knit and get nowhere. Part of me thinks I should take it and only it for the ride over to The Inlaws for Thanksgiving. Focussed and concentrated effort. The other part of me is actually thinking about working on the sleeves for the sweater I started oh those years ago (of course, the needles I need just happen to be in the @*(*#&$ ribbed hat for The Hubby. Again with the knitting for hours and getting nowhere. Stupid big heads).

Agenda for today: take advantage that many people took this day off work so there are fewer interruptions and something might get done. Go grocery shopping to supplement yesterday's grocery shopping. Make an apple almond tart and two pumpkin pies. Clean the house.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: