Friday, August 10, 2007

Talk(ing) To The Yarn

The Stash and I had a wee little chat last night.

It went a bit like this:
Me: So, Stash, you're getting a little big there.
Stash: Takes one to know one.
Me: 'Scuse me??
Stash: Just sayin', you could head to the gym every once in a while or somethin'.
Me: I am not having any back talk from a bunch of yarn! Have you ever considered that the bigger you get the more inspired I am to knit and the more I sit to knit the larger I grow, so really it's all YOUR fault.
Stash: you're just projecting your anger. Why don't you cast on something? It'll make you feel better.
Me: (fingers in ears) LALALALALA- I can’t hear you!

Very productive as you can tell. It has come time to do some serious knitting from the stash. Budgetary constraints have aligned with the closing of the LYS (cutting off the supply- a very tricky method of getting people to knit from the stash) and are resulting in a true need to knit from The Stash until the end of this year. I thought I was doing well with this prospect but then had a horrifying thought- WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH YARN?? What if the yarn I have isn't enough to get me through the next 5 months?

I started brainstorming. By the end of the workday I was up to 7 WIPs and 25projects for which I have yarn, pattern, needles, etc. Sadly, this was all too close to accurate. I got home and took an inventory. I have at least 8 WIPs (1 blanket, 3 scarves/ wraps/ stoles, 3 sweaters, 1 pair of socks) and no less than 26 projects that are ready to go. TWENTY SIX.
This includes:
4 Adult sized Sweaters
2 Shrugs
2 Blankets; 1 cabled, 1 lace
5 Scarves; 1 cabled, 2 lace, 2“regular”
2 hats; 1 fair-isle, 1 cabled
1 lace stole
4 baby bibs
2 pair fingerless gloves
1 Xmas stocking and
3 PAIRS of SOCKS

Seriously. THIRTY THREE total. I would have to finish (not to mention start) 6.6 projects PER MONTH in order to actually get through the drawers of yarn- that that isn’t even counting the yarn I own but don’t know what to do with.

[Written the next day…] Um, so good intentions are just that- intentions. I remembered that The Sister is in Germany right now. Um, Germany is where Regia is made, so it costs basically half of what it costs here. I might have put in a request for a few balls of Regia Silk in cream, gray and black. BUT they aren’t for me! They’re for one of The SF Aunties who loves the socks I make her out of them- the one person I like making socks for. Admitting there is a problem might be the first step to recovery, but how can hand crafting a family member a gift be considered wrong?

No comments: