Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Queue

Hey Flan,

Way to rock the socks! They seriously look so much better when you do them. PLUS, you have an invite from the awesome Shelly to go dye. How lucky are you??

Last night, while watching yet another informative show on my beloved PBS I was knitting away when it hit me. Summer knitting is incredibly deceptive. Summer seems really long and like you should have lots of time to get all those projects done before the hustle and bustle of the Fall.

After reading your last post I realized why there is a hustle and bustle of Fall- Summer is really freakin' hot. Really, really, REALLY freakin' hot and the humidity and heat combine to render people immobile. Less movement= less knitting.

HOWEVER, there is LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of projects to work on. Darn time lines. So far, I am feeling pressure from the following:

1. Babies are due. No, thank goodness, not from me, but other people are expecting and for knitters that means get busy. I found a Jo Sharp pattern I like and then did some math to make it fit. That baby blanket is about 1/3 done and I started it less than a week ago. That baby isn't due until January and the party will probably be in November, but I'm trying to capitalize on the new project enthusiasm and keep working.

2. There's a fun event coming up in about a month and I thought I might knit something for that. Good in theory. Reality is that it means I actually have to KNIT something for an event that has a deadline. I started once and got about half way through before I decided the whole thing is awful and must be frogged.

3. There's another fun event in the early fall. Gracie and I (ok, in the spirit of full disclosure, I came up with this truly crazy idea and then convinced her to join in the insanity) are thinking about doing a combo LACE project. We are freakin' nuts. Lace is nice and light, so good summer knitting- but freakin' insane nonetheless.

4. All my other current WIPs -2 sweaters, 1 pair of socks, 1 scarf and something else I'm repressing- seem to be demanding attention as well (though stuffing them in individual sacks so that they can't mount a rebellion seems to make them a little quieter).

So... The question of the day is: how to decide what to work on?? Do you go by deadlines? By project size and portability? Do you slog through wool sweaters while sitting under fans and air conditioners so that you can have something done? Do you just cast on everything in sight because that doesn't take much space on your lap? How do you decide what gets first billing in the line-up? Do some projects jump the queue and get to the front or do they have to wait their turn?

The Hubby has caught the cold I had last week so tonight instead of Knit Night I'll be home with him. Maybe all the WIPs and I will sit down and have a chat.

1 comment:

Shelly Kang said...

Hey, Kathleen! I didn't mean to leave you out of the invite - if you're going to be in the Twin Cities and have extra time, you're welcome to come over and dye too. You and Flan are just the cutest pair of bloggers I've met this side of Susan and Sally.