Sunday, March 23, 2008

NOLA

Hey Flan,

We have returned from our weekend celebration in "Nawlins" or New Orleans LA and oh what a time we had. I even found yarn.

The one thing everyone tells you when you announce you're going to New Orleans is that you must go to Cafe du Monde for beignets and coffee. Ever one to follow directions, here's a photo of mine:

The hotel where we stayed was pretty unremarkable, so no link for them. However, we had dinner at a fabulous creole restaurant.


The following morning we enjoyed a jazz brunch buffet. There was an abundance of local cuisine and a 3 piece jazz ensemble to serenade.
Fortified, we hit the French Quarter for some shopping.

There was the MOST fabulous pen shop with a French proprieter who makes his own inks.

There was a delightful store split into two halves, one for lingerie and one for clothing and accessories.

We had lunch- well, everyone else had lunch and I went yarn shopping- outside Jackson Square.

I found some Malbrigo worsted weight and it's the softest yarn EVER. So in love. Sadly, the store has no website. They're The Quarter Stitch and have needlepoint and yarn. Also, they wrap your purchase like a present, with colored tissue paper and then a clear bag and then colored ribbons. It was so pretty.

We went to THREE used bookstores. Apparently, there's a law in New Orleans that used bookstores must play Opera really really loudly. I was not aware of the fact that I absolutely detest opera, but now that it's been played very very loudly and gave me several headaches I am no longer in favor of it.


A bit shopped out we decided to go to the Aquarium. Ironically, they had lots of birds.


Ready for some food, we went to a bar and enjoyed some $1 daquiris. The "to go cup" is very popular and I admit I ordered another at the end of the meal so I could walk around outside with it. On the whole, I think I was a little underwhelmed with the novelty, but the daquiri was quite nice.

Now we are home and recovering from walking miles and miles. I hope you had a nice weekend.

Also, Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates it.

No comments: