Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Committee Sweater

Kathleen-
I'm reviewing my options and preparing for the committee sweater. I need to make a decision by mid-February, and cast on so that I'm prepared when committee comes around.

The major requirements of a committee sweater are: interesting enough that I can knit on it practically nonstop for two weeks. Simple enough that I can knit it without constantly looking at my knitting or consulting the directions. An occasional glance down at the pattern or to fix a mistake is fine, but constant reading of the pattern is not.

Here's a little preview of some of the options I'm considering, in no particular order. I'm linking to pictures, or to Ravelry pages.

The Amanda Jacket from the book A Fine Fleece.
I love the shawl collar on this jacket, as well as the texture of the main body. Current yarn plan: Elsebeth Lavold Classic AL in a gorgeous blue-green.

Sunrise Circle Jacket by Kate Gilbert.
I've loved this jacket ever since it came out. Current yarn plan: Cascade 220 in a lovely burgundy.

Phyllo Yoked Pullover by Norah Gaughan. I probably would never have looked at this sweater without seeing Sarah's gorgeous version in person (Ravelry link). I like how hers is more tightly fitted, and tightens up the collar so it doesn't fall off your shoulders. I'd also add a bit of waist shaping. Yarn: I don't know. Possibly the very soft RED merino I bought at the Shepard's Harvest festival.

Radiance Cabled Jacket by Melissa Morgan-Oakes. I'm linking to the Ravelry page on this, because I think the publicity photos don't do this jacket justice. Yarn yet to be determined.

Tangled Yoke Cardigan
by Eunny Jang. The only problem is that I think the cable chart on the yoke wouldn't be very committee friendly. Planned yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed in a lovely pale blue.

So what do you (both the Kathleen you and the blog readers you) think? Which sweater would be the most useful, and walk the line between helping my survive committee, but not require too much thought?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm voting for either Phyllo or Sunrise. I don't know a person on the planet who doesn't want a Tangled Yoke, but they seem to drive their creators to drink. Not that I'm opposed to that, but since committee also drives one to drink... In the end, I vote for the one that's made in pieces. I think they're much more transportable than the whole thing- from the girl with a top down seamless cardi on the needles.