Saturday, November 15, 2008

Baby!

Hey Flan,

In a pure fit of Auntly necessity, I purchased a plane ticket and flew to observe the tiny creature The Brother and SIL produced. I can honestly say they've done quite an amazing job!

Here is my self portrait:
We were a little worried as LittleBabyGirl was not putting on weight, however, she seems to have gotten over that and we are all very excited. Here is a stretched out shot of the string bean:As I had never visited our nation's capital, The Brother and I left LittleBabyGirl with her mother and grandmother and did a little bit of drive-by tourism. We observed the Washington Monument through the Mini's moon roof.
I took a picture of the IRS building out of spite.
Finally, we went by the White House. It looks just like it does on The West Wing, only without Toby, Josh, CJ, Leo & Charlie (sad).
The Brother and SIL left me to babysit! Can you believe it?!?! This was after I informed them I would be the Auntie that would teach her all kinds of inappropriate phrases. They had lots of faith in their daughter not to listen and she slept practically the whole time.
Isn't she precious?!??! I'm so smitten.
A post script on the first photo here and on her announcement photo:
The pink flower hat was from "Itty Bitty Hats"- an excellent book that everyone should buy immediately. I've knit practically half the book for LittleBabyGirl already. I had some pink alpaca whose yarn label is long gone (I believe the phrase "catalina" was on their somewhere, it's worsted wt). I made the smallest size.
The purple one above is from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts". I used an Australian yarn called "Heirloom". It's their cotton and I did it on 6s.
With baby hats I pretty much don't check gauge, which is unusual for me. Most of the time I am extremely paranoid trying to get the numbers to come out just so, but with baby hats I simply can't be bothered. For her, I've been making the smallest sizes (which are still far too big) in whatever needle size is recommended and whatever yarn happens to be lying around. Thankfully, so far she hasn't seemed to mind.

No comments: